HomeWorldAmericaIran's Araqchi presses European counterparts over use of bases in US operations

Iran’s Araqchi presses European counterparts over use of bases in US operations

-

DUBAI, July 30 (Reuters) - Iran's ‌Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi urged Bulgaria to reconsider its ​decision to allow the temporary deployment of U.S. military aircraft at the Bezmer air base, Iranian ⁠state media reported on Thursday.

During a phone call with his Bulgarian counterpart, Velislava Petrova-Chamova, Araqchi said Sofia's approval of a U.S. request to station military aircraft ​at the base to support military operations amounted to facilitating aggression against Iran, adding the ‌move was unacceptable and contrary to the traditionally friendly relations between the two countries.

Iran has repeatedly warned countries allowing their territory to be used for U.S. military ⁠operations against it that they could "face consequences".

Araqchi held a separate ⁠phone call with Cypriot Foreign Minister Constantinos Kombos, during which he stressed the importance of preventing foreign military bases in Cyprus from being used against Iran.

Bulgaria's parliament last week approved the temporary deployment of up to eight U.S. KC-135 ‌tanker aircraft and up to 250 personnel at Bezmer air base despite Iranian ⁠objections. Sofia has said no offensive weapons would be ‌deployed and that the move did not make ​Bulgaria a party to military operations.

Cyprus hosts two British sovereign military bases, including RAF Akrotiri, which was struck by an Iranian drone in early March, a ‌few days after Israel and the U.S. initiated strikes ​on Iran.

Britain agreed early on ⁠in the war to a U.S. request to use British bases ‌for defensive strikes against Iranian missiles ⁠in storage depots or launchers. Britain later clarified RAF Akrotiri would not be involved in its defensive agreement with the United States to use UK bases.

The broader ​defence arrangement was maintained ‌by the new British Prime Minister Andy Burnham in July, prompting Iran's Revolutionary Guards ⁠to warn Britain against facilitating U.S. ​military operations against Iran. 

(Reporting by Dubai Newsroom; additional reporting by Michele Kambas ​in Cyprus; Editing by Alex Richardson)

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM6T1L4-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM6T1L5-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM6T1L6-VIEWIMAGE

Author

Stay Connected

2,300FansLike
292FollowersFollow
121FollowersFollow
1,230FollowersFollow
140,985SubscribersSubscribe

Related articles

Latest posts

Share on Social Media