HomeWorldAmericaMexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

Mexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

-

MEXICO CITY, Aug ‌21 (Reuters) - The governor of Mexico's Sinaloa state, Ruben ​Rocha, returned to office on Friday after taking leave for more than ⁠three months following U.S. drug trafficking charges alleging ties to the Sinaloa Cartel, a move likely to deepen strains between Mexico ​and the United States.

Rocha, 77, a member of Mexico's ruling Morena party, ‌said he was resuming his duties after Mexican authorities found no evidence to support the accusations against him.

In a statement posted on ⁠X, Rocha denied wrongdoing and cast the U.S. case ⁠as a politically motivated attack on Mexico's sovereignty and on the leftist movement led by President Claudia Sheinbaum.

The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mexico has ‌so far declined to act on U.S. efforts to bring ⁠Rocha into custody, saying Washington has not ‌provided sufficient evidence to justify domestic arrest ​warrants or extradition.

For U.S. officials, the April indictment marked a rare expansion of anti-cartel action beyond drug bosses to include a ‌sitting senior Mexican politician.

U.S. prosecutors alleged Rocha ​and nine other current ⁠and former officials conspired with a faction of the ‌Sinaloa Cartel known as Los ⁠Chapitos, helping it traffic drugs into the United States in exchange for political support and bribes.

Rocha has repeatedly denied the allegations. He ​stepped aside temporarily ‌in early May as Mexican authorities reviewed the case, and said ⁠on Friday he was returning with ​his "head held high."

(Reporting by Diego Ore and Kylie Madry; ​Editing by Daina Beth Solomon)

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM7K163-VIEWIMAGE

Author

Stay Connected

2,300FansLike
292FollowersFollow
121FollowersFollow
1,230FollowersFollow
140,985SubscribersSubscribe

Related articles

Latest posts

Share on Social Media