HomeAmericaSuspect 'down' after shooting at officers near White House, official says

Suspect ‘down’ after shooting at officers near White House, official says

-

By Jana ‌Winter

WASHINGTON, May 23 (Reuters) - Officers at ​a White House checkpoint responded to gunshots ⁠on Saturday evening, and a shooting suspect was "down" and taken to a hospital, ​a law enforcement official told Reuters.

 A person ‌approached the checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House and ⁠started shooting at officers, ⁠according to the official. The suspect is "down" and was transported to George Washington Hospital, the official said. He did ‌not specify the suspect's condition or ⁠how he was brought ‌down.

The suspect was identified ​as an emotionally disturbed person, the official said, adding that a "stay-away order" had ‌been issued to the ​suspect previously. 

Earlier, the ⁠U.S. Secret Service said it ‌was investigating the ⁠incident and FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency was supporting the probe.

(Reporting by ​Jana Winter; ‌Additional reporting by Ryan Patrick Jones in ⁠Toronto; Writing by ​Rodrigo Campos; Editing by Sergio Non ​and David Gregorio)

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0V4-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0V5-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0V6-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0TN-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0TQ-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0TP-VIEWIMAGE

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM4M0V7-VIEWIMAGE

Author

Stay Connected

1,800FansLike
259FollowersFollow
120FollowersFollow
1,263FollowersFollow
90,000SubscribersSubscribe

Related articles

Latest posts

Share on Social Media

spot_img