HomeWorldAfricaZimbabwe ferry death toll reaches 94 as government confirms it was over...

Zimbabwe ferry death toll reaches 94 as government confirms it was over capacity

-

HARARE, Aug 18 (Reuters) - ‌A government-owned ferry that capsized on ​Zimbabwe's Lake Kariba last week was carrying about 180 passengers, ⁠double what police had given as its capacity, the government said on Tuesday, as the death toll ​rose to 94.

State-controlled newspaper The Herald said it was the ‌deadliest transport disaster in the Southern African country's history, surpassing a 1991 bus crash that claimed 89 lives.

The boat ⁠was travelling from the town of ⁠Kariba in northern Zimbabwe to a remote rural community on the lake when it capsized after being struck by strong waves.

The ferry was only meant to ‌carry 90 passengers, police said last week. While the ⁠government statement did not say ‌the maximum number that should have ​been on board, it said the 180 passengers and goods exceeded "its carrying capacity".

Police on Tuesday put ‌the death toll, which has risen ​steadily over the week ⁠since the capsize, at 94.

Some 77 people ‌have been rescued so far, ⁠while search and recovery operations continue, the government said in the statement released after a cabinet meeting.

Lake ​Kariba, on the border ‌between Zimbabwe and Zambia, is one of the world's ⁠largest man-made reservoirs.

(Reporting by ​Chris Takudzwa Muronzi;Writing by Nilutpal Timsina;Editing by Alexander ​Winning and Alison Williams)

tagreuters.com2026binary_LYNXMPEM7H18Q-VIEWIMAGE

Author

Stay Connected

2,300FansLike
292FollowersFollow
119FollowersFollow
1,230FollowersFollow
140,985SubscribersSubscribe

Related articles

Latest posts

Share on Social Media